- Authenticating and identifying you on our websites so we can provide you the services you requested
- Keeping track of information you have provided to us — for example, keeping items in your shopping cart as you browse crisil.com
- Providing you the CRISIL websites that you use
- Remembering your preferences or where you left off in your use of an CRISIL website
- Measuring your use of CRISIL websites so that we can improve them, tailor our websites to your likely interests, and conduct market research.
- Understanding your likely interests so we can provide you more relevant CRISIL ads and content on non-CRISIL websites and in non-CRISIL Apps.
- Running the CRISIL websites that help our business customers personalize and improve the performance of their websites, apps, and marketing messages.
Technologies similar to cookies
Technically speaking, cookies are called “HTTP cookies.” There are other technologies that can be used for similar purposes, such as HTML5 Local Storage and local shared objects (LSOs). LSOs are used by the authors of files that are read by Media Players and the websites hosting those files. We may use HTML5 Local Storage, LSOs, and similar technologies for authenticating you, keeping track of information you have provided to us, and remembering your preferences (see bullet points above). When you are using an CRISIL application offline, we may store information related to how you used that website on your device and then transfer it to our servers the next time you connect online to our service.
Web beacons and embedded scripts
Web beacons and embedded scripts are other technologies that we use in our websites, as well as in some of our emails and ads.
Web beacons (or “tags”) are bits of programming code included in web pages, emails, and ads that notify CRISIL(or the companies that help us run our business) when those web pages, emails, or ads have been viewed or clicked on.
Third parties may serve cookies on your computer to serve advertising through our Websites. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide relevant advertisements about goods and services that you may be interested in. They may also employ technology that is used to measure the effectiveness of advertisements. This can be accomplished by them using cookies or web beacons to collect information about your visits to this and other sites in order to provide relevant advertisements about goods and services of potential interest to you. The information collected through this process does not enable us or them to identify your name, contact details or other personally identifying details unless you choose to provide these.