We analyse millions of data points using a large network of primary data sources to provide our clients with long-term and short-term future outlook on 86 core sectors in India including automobiles, consumer products, construction and capital goods, infrastructure, metals, and others. We also provide an in-depth analysis of the factors that affect the performance and profitability of these sectors.
Our sectoral research covers the following areas:
- Outlook: demand-supply, prices, and an update on the industry’s performance among other parameters
- Researched information: actionable insights on everything from capacities and exports to industry structure, technology, regulations, and player profiles
- Premium tools and analysis (Research+): Our tools include ratings information, credit analysis, and financials for 1,100 listed entities
Our analysis and views are delivered nearly real-time through a web based platform, that allows our clients to understand regional dynamics of industries, apply multiple scenarios to help in credit evaluation, get access to emerging trends in niche industries, interact with sectoral experts, among others.
Based on market feedback and emerging trends, we provide special reports on Indian economy including SME, NBFC, agriculture and emerging sectors. These reports cover our views on the growth prospects, competitive scenario & attractiveness of these segments.
Features of our research delivery platform
- What if analysers - for sensitivity analysis by creating multiple scenarios of an industry, thus helping better credit evaluation
- Video clipping of industry experts - 2-3 minute video clippings of our experts covering topical issues on the industry and demand drivers for quick understanding of impact of changes
- Analyst presentation - for quick reference, an entire report is condensed into a few slides
- Discovery - interactive tool for understanding regional dynamics of industries
- Thematic reports - analysis of new areas/concepts/trends across industries and coverage on niche industries
- Ask the Analyst - interact with our sectoral experts for any analytical queries, clarifications, or additional data requirements
Special segments we deep-dive into
The SME segment contributes enormously to the country's economic growth: accounting for 45 per cent of manufacturing output, 40 per cent of exports and over 12 per cent of GDP. SMEs offer a huge opportunity for Banks, NBFCs, PEs and VCs.
A special report from CRISIL Research - ' SMEs: Amidst difficulty lies opportunity' - analyses the relative attractiveness of 50 SME-dominated sectors, and provides information on 104 clusters and more than 7,000 SME units. Collectively, the 50 sectors account for more than 65 per cent of the SME portfolio of banks. The report will enable financiers to identify attractive sectors and clusters, realign their portfolios and more precisely identify potential customers for profitable growth
The report covers:
Outlook on 50 SME dominated sectors
- Industry size, structure, SME presence
- Demand-supply scenario and forecasts
- Growth drivers
- Key risks for SMEs
- Financial performance of SMEs
- Ratings distribution of CRISIL-rated companies
- Outlook from SME perspective.
Profile of 104 clusters across the 50 industries covered
- Cluster snapshot (background, size, product profile, number of units, historical growth)
- Cluster competitiveness
- Cluster risks
- Financial comparison across clusters within each sector and vis-a-vis in the industry
- Ratings distribution of CRISIL-rated companies in the cluster
- Outlook for the cluster from SME perspective
- Key monitorables, voices from the market
List of more than 7,000 SMEs
- Company name
- Industry which the company belongs to
- Location of the company
- Rating assigned to the company by CRISIL
- Key financial parameters (select companies).
Key Questions Answered in the report
- Growth prospects of the major SME-dominated sectors
- Relatively attractive or unattractive sectors
- Benchmarking the financial performance of companies in a cluster with that of the sector
- The key opportunities, risks, prospects and aggregate financial performance of each cluster in a sector
- Financials for select companies in each cluster/sector
We have conducted a deep-dive analysis of the NBFC landscape to arrive at its opinion on the growth prospects, competitive scenario and attractiveness of different segments within the NBFC space. The report seeks to answer questions such as:
- Have the non-performing assets of the NBFCs peaked?
- Will NBFCs see an improvement in AUM growth?
- How is the competitive positioning of NBFCs in each segment likely to change?
- How will changing regulations impact the asset quality and profitability of NBFCs?
- Will sectors like housing finance, microfinance and unsecured business loans continue to perform well?
Benefits of subscribing
- Independent outlook on growth prospects and risk assessment for each segment
- Segment-wise outlook on profitability, taking into account business growth, resource profile and asset quality
- Detailed assessment of competitive positioning and market share in each segment
- Perspectives on evolving regulatory landscape in each business segment
- Player profiles for 67 NBFCs, comparing key operational and financial parameters
Segments covered in this report
- Infrastructure finance
- Loan Against Property
- Auto finance
- Construction equipment finance
- Housing finance
- Unsecured Small business loans
- Gold loans
Coverage of the report
|Overview||For each of the six segments
|Structure and classification of NBFCs||Overall growth in the industry|
|Share of NBFCs in systemic credit||Market share of Banks vs. NBFCs|
|Regulatory environment for NBFCs||Growth outlook for NBFCs|
|Competitive positioning of NBFCs across key segments||Profitability of NBFCs - Review & Outlook|
|Relative attractiveness of NBFC segments based on growth and profitability outlook||Asset quality - Review & Outlook|
|Current and projected asset class-wise distribution of NBFC segments||Underlying asset dynamics|
|Key growth drivers and challenges
Despite a mere 18% contribution to India's GDP (as per the new GDP series), agriculture remains a paramount factor in rural consumption and has an indirect impact on the industry. In addition, it helps widen the job market.
With limited scope to increase area under cultivation, in recent times the focus has shifted to productivity improvement by deploying modern techniques such as the use of hybrid or genetically modified seeds, fertilisers, pesticides, bio-pesticides, bio-fertilisers, and micro-irrigation. These areas provide tremendous growth opportunity, and have attracted significant interest of lenders and investors in the last few years. However, in many of these areas there is still a dearth of high quality information, insightful research and competitive intelligence.
The report also covers government initiatives such as the recent decision to enhance compensation by 50 per cent to farmers facing crop loss, or the change in classification and targets of priority sector lending by the Reserve Bank of India.
This report covers
- Assessment of state-wise opportunity and risks (top 15 states)
- Pre and post-harvest perspective
- Role of NBFCs in agri financing
- Agri insurance market: Structure and coverage
- Key agri inputs
- Current market size (2015-16)
- Growth outlook for next 3 years (2016-17 to 2018-19)
- Key agri input segments and sub-segments
- Industry structure (including import-export trends)
- State-wise emerging trends
- Competitive scenario
- Outlook on profitability
- Regulatory framework and government policies
- Total of 950 data tables, including data points across 10 key parameters for 400 districts encompassing agricultural credit, seed and pesticides usage, farm equipment ownership, and irrigation penetration
- Profile of 250 companies
Benefits for investors/lenders
- Opportunity - Risk matrix by state to aid portfolio planning
- Sizing of overall Agri lending segment by key segments of pre and post harvesting
- Assessment of opportunities and risks across 8 Agri input segments
- Financial and operational benchmarking on 250 companies
- Continuous tracking of mandi prices and arrivals for key crops by states to aid portfolio assessment
Benefits for corporates
- Sizing of Key Agri Input segments along with forecast until 2018-19
- State wise trends emerging for key input segments
- District-level data points to aid in planning and business development
- Financial and operational benchmarking with peers
- Key government policy and regulations impacting the segments
While core industries battle the throes of low or stagnant growth, new less-explored segments are emerging that offer significant scope for lending or investing. But how sustainable is the growth? Is the industry attractive for a new entrant? CRISIL Research's "Super-16" reports help you answer such questions and much more.
These reports cover:
- How the sectors operate; their inherent strengths and risks
- The size of the sectors, their key growth drivers
- Growth in the past, and the forecast for growth over the next 3 years
- Typical cost structure and margins Indicators of profitability, and the key success factors for sustainable profits
- Business models and their impact on sector growth and profitability
- Aggregate financial performance of the sector
- Government policies; technological developments
- Investment and funding opportunities over the next 3 years
- Profiles of key companies.
List of 16 industries covered
|Auto Dealership||City Gas Distribution|
|Consumer foods||Dairy and milk products|
|Diagnostic centers||Digital Education|
|Micro Finance||Non-alcoholic beverages|
|Poultry||Quick service restaurants|